Patrick James is the associate editor of GOOD magazine, a publication that aims to raise awareness of social issues and the benefits of sustainable living. He regularly writes posts on GOOD’s website on matters that range from thought-provoking issues and controversial headlines to interesting videos or noteworthy interviews. Here James shares a few thoughts on working as a journalist and his philosophy of the profession.
Ruth: Would you say you had a calling to be a journalist?
Patrick James: I believe in engaging with the world in different ways and constantly learning and not being satisfied with certain answers. It’s finding what’s meaningful in some small ways, but I wouldn’t attribute it to anything grandiose. I am totally focused on it right now and feel competent. I’m really happy with my job, but I always want to try new things.
R: Do you think what you do matters?
PJ: We want it to matter and that’s why it’s important to self-evaluate. Every once in a while we get comments on our website and we see that people are engaging in discussions. At GOOD we are mostly celebrating people who are making changes and their creative ideas. Many times we can’t measure the impact, but we give people agency, let people write a story, and we ask readers, “Now what?”
R: How do you think what you do connects you with others in your profession?
PJ: I think that committed journalists share a desire to find truth in the world. I know I'm pretty skeptical of, well, just about everything, but I'm also really eager to listen to new perspectives. I think that anyone who wants to work in journalism should have a lifelong desire to learn.
R: Do you think people of all faiths and backgrounds can remain objective in journalism?
PJ: It’s important for people to know what they believe. I don’t think people should ever compromise for the sake of journalism. Open-mindedness is what’s important.
R: Would you describe yourself as a person of faith? What does it mean to you and how do you perceive those of faith in your profession?
The faith question is difficult. I was raised Presbyterian, and did consider myself faithful in that sense when I was younger. I was very eager to learn, and I took Bible study very seriously. However, I've always struggled with the language of Christianity, and get squeamish at the thought of positioning myself within or alongside any large institution. But regardless of whether morality is ordained from above or produced from within, I take it very seriously—the same goes for ethics. Any good journalist ought to be both tirelessly ethical and unfailingly honest. I know and respect some journalists whose faith is grounded in religion, and I know and respect some who actively seek to distance themselves from any sort of church. But what I respect most is a commitment to finding all of the tricky, sometimes contradictory little truths we encounter on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment