Sunday, November 15, 2009

Being a Christian in Journalism

As a journalist and a Christian, I would choose to refrain from directly addressing my beliefs in my writing or allowing my personal biases to leak through my stories.  I think that being a Christian and a journalist doesn’t mean I have to be labeled as a “Christian journalist.”  I can write about other people and their stories or happenings around the world that doesn’t force me to reveal my religious beliefs.  For me personally, I want people to perceive that I am different not because I blatantly say so, but because they see it in my character.  I would speak of my beliefs if they asked, since no one should judge me based on my beliefs just like I wouldn’t judge them on theirs.

I think that Christians can aim to be objective in news reporting just like anyone else tries to aim for objectivity. People who aren’t religious can’t say their reporting is more objective than mine because everyone has their biases.  Even if they don’t believe in a God, they believe in something. If I were writing a news story, I’d try to report facts of the occurrence as much as possible and refrain from allowing my beliefs to affect it.

            I liked Colman McCarthy and Wesley Pippert’s idea of multivocal bridging in journalism.  Both talk about focusing on writing about the marginalized and the oppressed in the society in hopes of bringing social reform and justice and peace. I want to be able to use my journalism skills to help people, whether it is by telling the story of the people who are not heard or bringing awareness to social issues. I may not be physically feeding the hungry when I write an article, but I can write about those who are hungry and let people know of how they can use their resources to help.

I don’t want to include Bible verses or discuss theology in my writing; I’d rather try to live out Biblical teachings by pursuing certain stories as a journalist. I want to write about people who can inspire others or issues that people could care about even if they aren’t religious, such as protecting the environment or feeding the hungry.  I can work as a journalist without blatantly stating or referring to my Christian views.  People have stereotypes of what Christians are like, and many times their ideas of Christians are negative because of what the media has spotlighted. I know that the way I live as a Christian and my beliefs may be slightly different from the beliefs of a Christian they know, so I do not want them to categorize me with that person and not listen to what I have to say. I want to be able to reach and interact with people of all beliefs and backgrounds.  I don’t want to impose my Christian beliefs as a journalist; I simply want my work and character to reflect the morals, values and priorities I have as a Christian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment